Sunday, April 11, 2010

Champions!


Christ School is the champion of Bundibugyo district! Yesterday, we met our biggest rival in the district final. Our first half was brilliant, and the boys did everything I asked of them: keeping their heads in a high-pressure game, possessing the ball, keeping it on the ground, good passing, organized defense, and a high work rate. The only thing lacking was our finishing, and we went into halftime up 1-0 when it should have been 3-0. Nevertheless, I was upbeat and pleased.

I could never have guessed what would follow, as the second half was absolutely horrible. We lost control, the boys lost their poise. I was screaming to my players, "Keep the ball on the ground!" Their coach would then immediately scream to his players, "Don't let them keep the ball on the ground!" One thing I love about soccer is that it is a player's game. The coach can train and prepare, but once the whistle blows, it's up to the players. There's no micromanagement from the sidelines. That aspect of the game drove me crazy in the second half. I was screaming, pacing, shaking my head, my heart pounding, my head in my hands, powerless. Coaching is an entirely different game than playing.

However, we held on for the 1-0 victory, and a wonderful celebration ensued. It took me a couple minutes to transition from my angry coach mode into victory celebration, but it was a lot of fun. One young player in particular impacted me. He's a good kid, very hard working, the kind of player I like to have, and one who will go on to be a big player for this team. He had come on as a substitute to give us a little more defense, and was injured late in the game on a nasty tackle from an opponent and had to be carried off the field, grimacing in pain. As soon as the whistle blew, his arms went in the the air, fists pumping, head back, with pain and joy in his eyes. He looked to me like he might start crying. The emotion in his celebration helped me realize how big this is to these boys. Some of them are orphans, all of them endure a lot of challenges, all of them come from a forgotten corner of this country. This victory which makes them champions may be one of the most meaningful and positive things to happen to them. And now they have the chance to represent their district at the national tournament. There was a crate of Mountain Dew for the celebration, and the boys opened them and shook them like champagne, a fun and happy sight. I helped carry the injured player over the the middle of the celebration so that he could join in the Mountain Dew shower.

Many of these boys have never been outside of Bundibugyo, and I'm excited to have the chance to go with them to Masaka for nationals. We'll meet taller, more skilled players. We'll meet schools with a lot more money. But we'll get to represent Bundibugyo - these 20 boys who get to go on a huge adventure, the biggest opportunity of their playing days. Seeing a new part of the country, opening their eyes, traveling, feeling good about themselves, camaraderie, confidence, learning, growth. That's what I hope for, and I believe it will be a good opportunity for me to invest in them and to show them that I care for and believe in them, even as I prepare to return to the US.

After the game, I told the players that we have a lot to talk about on Monday (not happy things, mind you), but that now was the time to celebrate. And that gave me some freedom to celebrate too.

No comments: