Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pass the remote...


While I don't usually post about sporting events, this time I will. Today was Liverpool vs. Chelsea in the English Premier League, recently a great rivalry, with Liverpool needing the victory to stay in the hunt for the title. If you know how much I love to watch soccer, you'll know how excited I was to watch this game. You'll also know how disappointed I was that as of yesterday, the TV provider that carries all English Premier League soccer in all of Uganda was liquidated, leaving the entire country unable to watch the game. Typical. In fact, almost predicatable, since the Myhre's only got that TV provider three days ago and hadn't yet watched two minutes on it. So, BBC radio came to the rescue. I listened in tense agony as the minutes ticked by, until Fernando Torres scored twice for Liverpool in the last 5 minutes to snatch a 2-0 victory. It was in many ways a small thing, but it was an incredibly exciting one, and the Myhre's will attest to the fact that I was holding my breath, pulling my hair, and pacing around their kitchen, full of nervous energy.

And the next sporting event will be tonight, at 2:15 AM, when we gather at Myhre's for a super bowl party. That's right, even here in Bundibugyo Uganda, the super bowl lives. Having grown up in Pittsburgh, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Steelers, so I have my team in the big game. That being said, I don't particularly like American football. But somehow, I think that it reminds me of home, reminds me of the familiar, reminds me of what I've known in the past, and I think that the rest of the team feels that, so we're hoping it will be almost therapeutic. If only I'd thought to pack my Terrible Towel...

My sport watching plans and excitement are probably of little interest, but watching soccer, especially Liverpool, just makes me tick, and that's what's on my mind today.

3 comments:

Elwood said...

I <3 you
and
I <3 Liverpool

Travis and Amy said...

Just wanted to let you know we were thinking of you and praying for you today,
much love,
Travis

Lindsey B said...

We watched the Super Bowl -- what a game! -- but didn't have a terrible towel either. We used a terrible (yellow) washcloth. :)