Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It had to happen sometime

I’ve been remarkably healthy since getting here; In fact I hadn’t been sick in my three and a half months (pretty amazing in a place with germs I’m not used to and where everything is dirtier). Until 3AM last night, that is, when I was woken up by the rumbling of my stomach. Being sick is no fun any way you slice it, but having an outdoor pit latrine (cho) complicates things significantly. For instance, my legs are still sore from squatting, and the circulation to my feet was largely cut off. Between 3-5AM I probably made 4 trips out to the cho, but I was in such a daze that I can’t exactly remember. Add in a couple bouts of wretching and being startled by monkeys crashing through the trees in the dark, and the night was a real adventure. I am really blessed that Scott Ickes is visiting and staying with me – it was incredibly comforting to know that someone else was in the house, it just soothes the mind. But it’s hard being sick when you’re in a (relatively) new place. I realized that there were three things I really wanted last night – my mom, a toilet, and Campbell’s chicken noodle soup, none of which were to be found. It definitely has made me miss home all the more. But both Heidi and Jennifer have been taking good care of me, and I turned over a new leaf when I, against my instincts, actually listened to medical advice and stayed home to rest for the day, rather than running off to help train nutrition volunteers and playing soccer at Christ School (Mom must be proud). It was nice to get to sit around and just read and watch movies, since I seldom get a chance to do that, but I was still, of course, bombarded with people at my door. It was wonderful, however, to see some people’s very caring responses to my being sick – it made me feel appreciated and cared for in a pretty special way. So now, I’m just hoping for a night that doesn’t involve running to my cho through the dark.

4 comments:

Lou and Beth LaBrunda said...

Oh My Nathan - - our heart goes out to you - - and we wish it was a cool cloth that we could hold to your forehead.

I'll give your Mom extra hugs this week, as I know what it is to have a child hurt (you'll all still be "our child" until you all are old and gray!).

Praying for peace in your heart and in your tummy.

With great love, Beth & Lou

Christopher Wink said...

Gosh you'll appreciate your toilet more when you get back to the States.
-cgw

Anonymous said...

A cho, no circlulation in legs while hurling, no Campbell's chicken noodle--all pale next to NO MOM! Libby and I prayed for you today, with Libby wondering, "How did Nathan throw up without his Mommy?"

Lindsey B said...

Oh, Nathan! I just learned you'd been sick (I hope past tense is correct) I so wish I could've been there to take care of you! All I can give you from here is a ... "poor baby!" :)

Love you so much!