Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I want to wish all of you a very merry Christmas, even if it is a day early. This season I've been thinking a lot about Christmas and home, and all of the people who are a part of both of them for me. So I want to tell you how much I appreciate and miss all of you, my family and friends.

Amid the preparations, the pre-Christmas celebrations, the Christmas carols with the team, the buying of my Christmas shirt, and the general anticipation that fills the air in Bundibugyo (Christmas is a big deal here, if you hadn't figured that out), the tragic and difficult realities remain. Just yesterday, a soda truck collided with a pickup truck laden with far too many passengers. Both of them rolled, and this morning I learned that 12 people have died, including a mother and her two young children, all of them leaving friends and family mourning and weeping at a time when almost everyone is celebrating and making merry. This has been a poignant reminder that, while we celebrate the birth of Jesus, come into the world for our salvation, the consummation of his work is yet to come - we still live in a world of suffering and tragedy. So, I plan to celebrate and feast and to enjoy new family, new friends, good food, and good wine, but to also remember that I live in a world of needs and pain, as well as joy and celebration. 

So, I don't want to make your Christmas sad with these stories (I could keep going), but the complexity and nuance of this season have struck me, and I think it's good to dwell on it for a time. I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas (or Chanukah, or just a good December), and that you are able to enjoy it with friends and family. Merry Christmas from the heat and dust of Bundibugyo!

3 comments:

Lou and Beth LaBrunda said...

Merry Christmas Nathan - from the ice and snow of Andover. We are so grateful for your posts, to feel so connected to you and your experiences. Your sacrifices have touched our lives and we won't ever be quite the same.

Thank you for being there for us. We love you dearly.

Beth & Lou

Anonymous said...

We send Merry Christmas hugs to you, Nathan, and feel your presence this Chritmas powerfully. Your experiences in Bundibugyo made the world smaller for Libby and me, closer, more real. God bless you.

Alison Winans said...

Merry Christmas Nathan! I love reading your blogs and it's even in the favorites here at work if the other PA's want to read it. I'm so proud of you and the choices you've made (And how much you have to be experiencing and learning!). Keep hugging and taking care of those cute little kids. We have it so good don't we! Love you and Merry Christmas.