Friday, March 19, 2010

Kick Off

We had our first football match of the season on Wednesday - it was supposed to be Saturday, but other teams are protesting and causing trouble, a frustrating story that I don't have time to relate now - always a big and exciting event. Especially in the last few months I've been spending a lot of time training the boys, usually at least five days a week for a couple hours. We have talent, and my goal is generally to bring some organization and tactical awareness to the game. The game started a mere two and a half hours late (we had to wait for someone to come and officially commission the match, but he needed to be picked up and driven to the field, and once he arrived he had to lecture everyone involved on the minutiae of the regulations. The bureaucracy here is mind-boggling), but within a minute we were off to a good start with a 1-0 lead. I was really happy with the way the boys played; they have come a long way since I first saw them. Like any coach, I was still frustrated with a lot of things and did more than my fair share of yelling - I wonder what the boys were thinking as I was screaming while we had a 4-0 lead - but it was a good match and was fun to watch.

Football season seems to bring the school together in a special way, and the joy that these boys have in representing their school and being supported by their classmates is clearly visible. Students and young children run onto the field after each goal, dancing and twirling in celebration. The girls beat drums, sing, and chant for the entire match. I think that the matches are a really encouraging experience for the players, and I hope that it's a chance for them to learn teamwork, dedication, and respect.

The game finished an impressive 6-1, so everyone was happy. Except for me, of course, as I was disappointed that we allowed a goal. But it was encouraging start to the season, and I'm hopeful that we'll have a successful year.

No comments: