Friday, April 10, 2009

A tough end

On Thursday, my CSB boys football team played in the district final against Semiliki, to determine who would continue to the national tournament. In front of a huge, but rather well behaved, crowd, we got off to a great start, with several clear chances narrowly missed or denied by the goalkeeper. Semiliki were a bigger, faster team, and their average player was probably better than our average player, but we were the stronger team and outplayed them, especially in the first half. In the end, however, despite having more and better scoring opportunities, we didn't have an answer for their two very talented forwards, and although we twice came from behind, we ended up losing 3-2.

The boys were understandably crushed -ti clearly showed how important this is to them. Several players were sobbing - boys for whom this was their last chance, and who may never have been involved in something so successful. It reminded me of the end of my own seasons in college, and it was emotional for me just to see the boys disappointment. But it didn't end there. The whole school appeared to be in morning, and the wails, shreiks, and sobs coming from the girls dorms sounded just like the way that women mourn a death in this culture.

After the match, my words to the boys were simple. I'm proud of you. After watching the first game, it was hard to imagine that they would improve as much as they did. They were a coach's dream, as they responded quickly and deciscively to the things I was trying to teach them. They learned to play a controlled style of football that no one else in the district plays, and they became strong not by leaning on an individual superstar, but by supporting each other and playing as a team. When one of their top players got malaria, they rallied as a team and played wonderfully. When another top player got suspended, they pulled together and had one of their best matches.

So, with the season now over, of course I'm disappointed, but I'm more proud. I'm proud of what the boys accomplished and the progress they made. I'm proud of the obstacles they overcame. And I'm excited to get back out there and keep working with them the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Christopher Wink said...

You get any photos of these games and these crowds, Elwood? I'd like to see 'em. best

S. Shoemaker said...

Bummer about the end of the season... I know I need to write you a proper email but I've been a bit busy lately. I promise to send one out by Saturday. I hope you're healthy, happy, and safe. Talk to you soon!