Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A big day

The Myhre's recently, after over 15 years, invested in satellite TV for their house, giving us the chance to watch the occasional football match. But today, after getting back from our team planning retreat, it allowed all of us to gather to watch the inauguration of Barack Obama. Whatever your political views or your thoughts about him as a politician, I felt that today's ceremony was a truly historic moment for our nation, and one that I was very glad to be able to witness on TV. I'm not one to enjoy being constantly told by a hundred reporters that I'm witnessing history, but I also felt that it was really true. We were gathered at the Myhre's, crowded around the TV, watching the inane coverage of the run-up (I have memorized the entire menu for the inaugural luncheon) to the ceremony, and it occurred to me that people like us were a part of the reason that this inauguration was the most highly viewed event in the history of television (they said the previous program to hold that title was the final episode of M.A.S.H. - yikes). I'm sure that some of you are excited for Obama's presidency and some of you are not, but I hope that all of you can join me in celebrating not only a politician or a political party, but rather a victory in our nation for justice and a further step away from some of the darkest times in our history.

Here in Uganda, everyone is very excited and somewhat in disbelief that someone even remotely like them could become President of the US, which was really a theme of the ceremony and even of Obama's address. As a final note on the inauguration, it struck me is highly ironic that at the inauguration of a man who is so gifted an orator there would be a mix up in the actual taking of the oath (my reading is that it was probably Roberts' fault, but it must have been pretty embarrassing for both of them). My first thought that they just handed Saturday Night Live weeks of good material.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get such perspective so quickly about the president?! I am so delighted that you got to see the Inauguration on TV. So is your mom.

Sarah said...

Sarah Leaman here - you came to my house for a bbq over the summer! I just read a bunch of your posts and have really enjoyed your perspective on Uganda. It's difficult to write so objectively, without a twinge of cynicism, frustration or anecdotes and inside jokes that readers can't relate to. I appreciated your thoughts on the tension and also that you watched Pride and Prejudice (that's my favorite movie, and I watched it in Uganda as well). Keep being insightful and may God keep teaching you new things!